Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had recently. Ironically, it was one day where I actually set my books aside and took a well-deserved break.
Seeing I had no classes that day, my mum scheduled an appointment with my ophthalmologist. I had a teeny-weeny number, and Mum thought it was time for a check-up. So I reluctantly left my One Tree Hill marathon, to go all the way to the other side of town, in a rickshaw. :/
Once there, the nurse poured some drops into my eyes. And just as those came into contact with my cornea, I shrieked. I had totally forgotten how much that stuff hurt. It was like friggin' acid.
It was supposed to dilate my pupils, and make my vision hazy for a few hours, and help the doc see whether there was anything wrong with my eye. Thankfully, there wasn't. And my eyes were okay now.
That should make me happy, right?
Wrong. That stuff was like frickin' acid and had me practically blind. I couldn't see a bloody thing!
The world was just a big Pablo Picasso painting for me.
All I could see was big blotches of color.
By the time we left the clinic, it started raining pitch-forks. My great kismet. *note sarcasm*
And no rickshaw- waala was ready to come all the way back, in that pouring rain.
So my poor mum, a hand linked through mine to keep me from straying away, the other hand holding the umbrella for both of us and clenching onto her bag and waving frantically for the rickshaw waalas to stop. They didn't, nonetheless. Morons.
After a while the Rain-God had mercy on us, and tamed down.
But instead, Mum took that as a bait to do some street shopping. I mean, seriously?
She stuck to her guns till the vendor did not give her the pumpkin for her price. And later she had the victorious feel in her tone, when she spoke of her achievement of getting the pumpkin at half the price we get in our locality.
And still no rickshaw- waala.
We would've been a sight, I tell you. My shorts were drenched, and my hair felt frizzy. Mum was not on her best, either. I was sulky, and stomping my way through the pot-holes, and in turn splashing muddy water all over my bare calves. Mum staggering on the road, with her arm full of plastic bags and an umbrella and trying to keep track of me, every other second.
How much ever I try to portray rains as those wonderful, magical events they certainly weren't those for me.
When what seemed like hours had passed, a rickshaw-waala finally agreed. We quickly got in, and I started my rambles on how it was all a bad idea and how mum owed me a pedicure after all that dirty water we walked in- water people with diseases stomp and spit in; when my mum quietly mumbled something that really made me think.
Every cloud has a silver lining- She said.
Surely I had heard about it in school.
She made me think of a silver lining about this situation.
I, being the red-hot angry, stubborn head- couldn't think of any.
She said, When was the last time we actually held hands while walking?
-When I was 10. Five years back.
"When was the last time you got wet in rains?"
-I don't remember. I've always hated rains,
"When was the last time Mumbai got rains on time?"
-Long, long back.
"When was the last time I got pumpkin for fifteen rupees?"
- I laughed at that.
So after a long, hot shower I hit the sack.
It was a memorable day after all.
Of silver linings and despicable Bombay rains.
Seeing I had no classes that day, my mum scheduled an appointment with my ophthalmologist. I had a teeny-weeny number, and Mum thought it was time for a check-up. So I reluctantly left my One Tree Hill marathon, to go all the way to the other side of town, in a rickshaw. :/
Once there, the nurse poured some drops into my eyes. And just as those came into contact with my cornea, I shrieked. I had totally forgotten how much that stuff hurt. It was like friggin' acid.
It was supposed to dilate my pupils, and make my vision hazy for a few hours, and help the doc see whether there was anything wrong with my eye. Thankfully, there wasn't. And my eyes were okay now.
That should make me happy, right?
Wrong. That stuff was like frickin' acid and had me practically blind. I couldn't see a bloody thing!
The world was just a big Pablo Picasso painting for me.
All I could see was big blotches of color.
By the time we left the clinic, it started raining pitch-forks. My great kismet. *note sarcasm*
And no rickshaw- waala was ready to come all the way back, in that pouring rain.
So my poor mum, a hand linked through mine to keep me from straying away, the other hand holding the umbrella for both of us and clenching onto her bag and waving frantically for the rickshaw waalas to stop. They didn't, nonetheless. Morons.
After a while the Rain-God had mercy on us, and tamed down.
But instead, Mum took that as a bait to do some street shopping. I mean, seriously?
She stuck to her guns till the vendor did not give her the pumpkin for her price. And later she had the victorious feel in her tone, when she spoke of her achievement of getting the pumpkin at half the price we get in our locality.
And still no rickshaw- waala.
We would've been a sight, I tell you. My shorts were drenched, and my hair felt frizzy. Mum was not on her best, either. I was sulky, and stomping my way through the pot-holes, and in turn splashing muddy water all over my bare calves. Mum staggering on the road, with her arm full of plastic bags and an umbrella and trying to keep track of me, every other second.
How much ever I try to portray rains as those wonderful, magical events they certainly weren't those for me.
When what seemed like hours had passed, a rickshaw-waala finally agreed. We quickly got in, and I started my rambles on how it was all a bad idea and how mum owed me a pedicure after all that dirty water we walked in- water people with diseases stomp and spit in; when my mum quietly mumbled something that really made me think.
Every cloud has a silver lining- She said.
Surely I had heard about it in school.
She made me think of a silver lining about this situation.
I, being the red-hot angry, stubborn head- couldn't think of any.
She said, When was the last time we actually held hands while walking?
-When I was 10. Five years back.
"When was the last time you got wet in rains?"
-I don't remember. I've always hated rains,
"When was the last time Mumbai got rains on time?"
-Long, long back.
"When was the last time I got pumpkin for fifteen rupees?"
- I laughed at that.
So after a long, hot shower I hit the sack.
It was a memorable day after all.
Of silver linings and despicable Bombay rains.
| My click :) |
Awwww the silver linings are really cute! :)
ReplyDeleteI get my eyes dilated every year and I hate how foggy my vision suddenly becomes. *common hate* :D
Thanks AaeKay, credits to my mother ;)
DeleteUghh. Iknowright!
BEAUTIFUL picture.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, looking at silver linings always helps :)
And YES, I HATE THAT FUCKING ACID SHIT too. Arrrrgh. Now that I am old enough, I always tell Mom that I'll get my eyes tested myself and then skip out on it. Bwahahaha :P
Gee, thanks PeeVee!
DeleteHaha luckyy you;)