Monday, 16 February 2015

She's the giggle at a funeral

There was a slight bite in the air that night. The trees lining the curb rustled as the wind breezed by. The periodic sound of waves flinging themselves at the rocks and crashing the wall we were sitting on; calmed my erratic heartbeat. The air smelled of salt, aftershave and bad decisions. The streetlights glowed in a systematic line down the street, their yellow light creating a halo around his ruffled hair and a havoc of butterflies in my stomach. His hair was always messed up no matter how much he tried to tame it down; I smiled. Occasionally a car or two would speed by, but other than that the city which never sleeps seemed to have blown off the candles and retired for the day. Except for us maybe.

Just one night, he had said. One night for us to be who we were. Tomorrow we'll let the distance tear us apart. Tonight is about us. Just us.

The lights on the part of the road that curved ahead of us, reflected in the water, and almost glinted like jewels. We didn't need words to fill the air hanging between us. Silence was comforting. It was magical.



I felt his hand slip into mine and his face turn towards mine, and lift into a smile.

"Monalisa, one last dance?"

The way he said 'last' made me cringe internally, but I just laughed as he pulled me up. He put my hands around his neck, and rested his own on my waist. He looked right into my eyes and the whole city around us could've been up in flames at that point of time and I wouldn't have known.

I could see all our memories together. How he always made me happy, as if it was his ultimate goal in life. How nice it felt to be around him, how right it felt, how I used to go to sleep with a smile on my face every single night. How giving up all of that meant giving up my chance at happiness.
The late night conversations, the darkest secrets and the promises for a future together, all swimming around us, and suddenly it all became too much to handle. A tear trickled down my cheek and I let go of my hold over him, literally and figuratively, and just ran for my life.

And he didn't chase me.

Distance will inevitably tear us apart, but I think our choices already did.




4 comments:

  1. That is something very beautiful. The words you used to describe and the way you put them together, awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The emotions..the hurt...beautifully described.
    Must say , a perfect way to end it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell you what, Ima good listener :)