He just stared at her. Watching her frantically try to lap up water from the bowl in front of her, but failing miserably.
He looked straight ahead, with a piercing look.
"Cindy has rabies. Its the last stage. Take her to the Parel veterinary hospital, and admit her immediately."A tear rolled down my cheek.
All her life, this German Shepherd had been treated royally. She was more of a daughter to my parents, than I ever was. She was that one link, that brought us all together.
My mum always said that she had three children - Cindy, My brother and I.
It all started the previous night. After dinner she had been given her treat, but surprisingly she didn't gobble it up the way she normally does. She tried real hard to bite on it, but still no luck.
The next morning when having her breakfast, it all started falling from the sides of her mouth. Her jaw just couldn't be moved.
The vet had just so easily stamped her as a case of rabies.
As soon as my mum received the news, she broke down. My dad, was still not convinced.
They drove across the city, to the hospital. By now, my mother was into the possessive-mother-lioness mode.
There was no way Cindy could have had rabies. She was vaccinated and always walked by my parents, or me. And we took utmost care.
It took a lot to convince the people at the hospital otherwise. Mum plainly refused for Cindy to be kept in the Rabies Ward. It was no ward; just a fenced area without a cover for the dogs left to die, in the scorching heat.
I sat in front of her kennel at home. And cried. Cried my heart out. Cried until my crying became more like a questioning session with God.
I woke up, to find myself on my bed. I shut my eyes tightly. I didn't want to get up.
I could hear voices outside, confirming that it wasn't just a bad dream.
That was the first time I heard my father cry.
I clutched onto my pillow and suddenly there was darkness all around me.
Those two days were the worst days of my life.
It was as if my whole world had crashed, in just a day.
The doctors and ward boys refused to touch her.
But my parents never lost hope. Day in and day out, they travelled all the way to the hospital taking liquid meals with them, and force-feeding her. Not once letting the thought of her dying, let them do otherwise.
A couple of days passed. This feeding routine of my parents' went on. Her bark had changed. Her eyes had supposedly changed colour. The signs were all there.
I not once went to see her at the hospital. My life had come to a standstill.
I didn't know what I was doing. I lost appetite. I didn't feel like talking. I found myself staring into empty space, thinking about nothing.
After my parents' gazillion talks with the doctors and convincing theories, they decided to give her an ultimatum. If she survives the next week, they would be ready to take her on the table and examine her.
And my baby made it!
![]() |
| In the park. One year ago. |
![]() |
| More recent. On the verandah of our home. |
![]() |
| Her favourite pastime- Gossiping with the sparrows. |
***
This happened on 20th November,2012. Cindy is perfectly awesome now :)She lived through the week, and proved the absence of the rabies virus.
The X-rays showed a bone stuck in her throat, locking her jaw, that prevented food from going down her throat. And the difference in her bark was due to lack of water. The change in eye-color was pure BS.
She did not have rabies!
That week, was the worst one of my life.
Rabies is a virus that can be spread by the saliva of mammals. So, thats why if you have a rabies infected animal's saliva penetrating into your skin, through an open wound you should consult your family physician ASAP.
The signs of rabies in dogs, don't appear until 15 days.
Rabies has three stages. There are vaccines available. The final stage, is a death sentence.
What I learnt from the experience : India is in dire need of well educated and qualified, honest veterinarians.
Source: Worth-less blabbering veterinarian idiots.



I'm glad she made it through. That sounds like a scary set of symptoms to have! There is actually no "cure" for rabies - only prevention via vaccination. Some dogs will go longer than 14 days without showing any signs at all, but once they start with the typical collection of problems, usually they go downhill within 10 days.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you got a second opinion.
Source: Another blabbering veterinarian. Hopefully not worthless.
Yeah, me too :)
DeleteYou know there was a time I used to be very scared of dogs as pets.. but off late in the recent few years I am surrounded by people who have pets and I have started loving them now so much that I now want to have one myself...
ReplyDeleteI can truly understand your emotions in this post..
Thank you, Me.
DeleteOh thank God your Cindy survived. I lost my Shadow to distemper and I still haven't found it in myself to forgive that bastard masquerading as a veterinarian.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteIm sorry about Shadow.
A friend of mine lost her 3 month old beagle to distemper, and she was miserable for months.
Indian vets. Pure idiots. We need good ones desperately.